Week 9 Story: How the Dogs Got to Play

    There once were some parents, golden retrievers to be more specific, who had two beautiful daughters. These daughters had the most shiny and beautiful golden blonde fur coats. The parents wanted unique names for their daughters so they named them Luna and Leena. This family of golden retrievers lived a very luxurious life. Their owners lived in a big house with a big yard and they always were taken on play dates to the dog park. The parents decided they would only let their daughters play with dogs that could guess their names right. If they were not smart enough to guess their names, they did not deserve to play with their daughters. 
    One evening the owners took the family of golden retrievers to a nearby dog park. A cute Australian Shepard came up and asked the girls to play, but their parents quickly jumped in and told the Australian Shepard he would have to guess their names first. The poor cute dog had no idea what their names were, but he really wanted to play with the girls so he told the parents, "I promise one day I will learn their names and I will be able to play with them." The dad golden retriever looked at him jokingly said. "ha good luck son." The Australian Shepard went back to his owner feeling defeated. 
    A few weeks pass and they are all back at the dog park. This time the golden retriever family's owner and the Australian Shepard's owner are talking to one another. The Australian Shepard is playing alone near the owners, as he only wants to play with the golden retriever girls. Suddenly, he hears the other dogs owners say, "Luna and Leena are turning one next week." to his owner. The Australian Shepard, excitedly runs over to the golden retriever parents and says, "am I invited to Luna and Leena's birthday party next week?". The parents look at each other in shock. The mom dog looks at him and says,  "You are now that you know their names. We will keep our promise, you are now able to play with our girls.". The Australian Shepard sprints happily to the daughter golden retrievers and they all play happily ever after. 

A Happy Australian Shepard
(photo by me; this is my dog, Rumble)

Authors Note:
I got my idea for this from reading the story, "How Gazelle Got Married". I obviously changed the characters into the dogs. I also shortened the story. I kind of thought that the original story dragged on so that is why I shortened it. In the original story the gazelle learns the names of the daughters from his dog friend but since my story is about dogs I made the Australian Shepard learn the names from his owner. 

Bibliography

















Comments

  1. Hi Ashten,
    This is a very cute story and there is actually a similar myth in the West African unit involving Anansi the spider. Your dog looks like such a good boy too! I love the idea of adapting the story to a modern setting, but also keeping the main characters as animals. It keeps the storybook quality of it while updating it for a new culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashten,

    Love the story! It was very cute that the Australian Shepard was so excited when he finally learned what the names of the daughters were. I can just imagine him running quickly with a big smile on his face! I also thought it was cute how protective the parents were over their daughters. I think this emphasized how much parents love and want to protect their kids. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashten,
    I like that you changed the characters of this story to dogs—it made it so cute and fun to read. Everyone knows and loves puppies, so it makes the story relatable too. I think the length was perfect, since the plot does not take too long to develop. Your dog Rumble is so cute! Overall really great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment