Growth Mindset

 I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before this. I really like this perspective that Carol talks about. All through high school, I was able to get good grades easily. Once I got to college, I realized it was not going to be as easy as high school and I had felt defeated. I eventually had to learn that even though it wasn't as easy to get great grades in college, I was still smart, I just had to apply effort and had to stop feeling inadequate because of one bad grade. When I would get down on myself because I did not have that grade I wanted, I did not care to try hard in the class because I just assumed I was dumb. After my freshman year, I came to realize that I needed to change the ways I studied and approached my classes. Once I started to go into class with a positive mindset, I was able to engage more in class, therefore making better grades. 

I would love to learn more about the growth mindset this semester. I feel like if the growth mindset was integrated into all schools, students would have a much more positive learning experience. It is so important for students to feel encouraged even when they get a bad grade. A number or letter should not define how a student feels. This is my last semester at OU and I have gone into all my classes with a positive mindset and learning about the growth mindset helps even more with that. 

These are some great things to keep in mind!

Comments